Rehome a guide dog in 8 steps
2) If you are eligible to apply at this time, complete the Rehoming Application Form. Could you please save the form on to your computer prior to filling out Rehoming form then Email, post or fax it to the Guide Dogs Training School nearest to you. If you need an accessible form please email your contact details to the Rehoming Officer at the Training School.
3) Depending on your current situation and the current types of dogs we have available or becoming available you may receive a phone call from one of our Rehoming Officers to further discuss your application. If you haven't heard back from us within six months, then unfortunately your application has not been successful at this time. Please visit our website for other ways to help, or contact your local animal rescue charity.
4) Following your phone call with the Rehoming Officer you will be placed onto our live applicant list. Once we have a dog in mind that matches your requirements we will contact you.
5) At this point we will liaise with you to organise a home visit to discuss progressing your application, the potential dog and any questions you may have regarding rehoming.
6) Following the home visit, if the dog isn't housed in your area, you may be asked to come to one of our Guide Dog Training Schools or a Mobility Team office local to you to meet the dog. These are located in Forfar, Leamington Spa, Redbridge, and Atherton.
7) If the introduction is successful, you will be asked to complete necessary paperwork and payment to be able to take the dog with you that day.
8) After approximately two weeks of rehoming your dog the Rehoming Officer will call you to check that your new dog is settling in.