• You are here:
  • News >
  • Blogs >
  • Blue Peter puppy blog

Callum's First Blog!

Hello, my name is Callum and I'm very happy to say I'm now Iggy's new owner!

Callum and Iggy sitting together I'm 16 years old (turning 17 in May) and have been blind since birth. I have used a cane ever since I could walk, to navigate my way around. However, back in June, I started looking into getting a guide dog after hearing from friends who had guide dogs about how amazing they are and how much they have changed their lives. I applied in June and Guide Dogs did some work with me on my cane skills and some routes I wanted to learn. Then in January I met Iggy and had a bit of a walk with her to see how I felt walking with a dog as it is very different to a cane, then I was put on the waiting list for a dog.

To my surprise, in February I got a phone call saying that Iggy was a match and I could start my training within the next month, I can't tell you how excited I was!

Iggy moved in with me and my mum on the 22nd of February and this is when we started training together. I was nervous about having her living with me at first but she settled in no problem, and we both quickly started making great progress in our training. We have now qualified on my route to my nan's house, which is quite a straight forward route and also on my route to college which involves getting a bus and a train so it is quite a test for her, but she does it perfectly. I can definitely already see how much of a difference she will make to my independence and confidence.

As well as this, we’re also starting to see her little mischievous side. Occasionally when she has to be left in the house on her own, her favourite game seems to be to find my mums slipper and hide it, so we’ll often come home and find her slipper in the middle of the living room floor, or in the box with her toys, or whichever other hiding place she can find! Apart from those little things, she is extremely well behaved and still very laid back and sleepy, just like you see when she’s in the Blue Peter studio.

I honestly can’t thank the Guide Dogs team enough for all the work they have put in with us both. Iggy has now become part of our family and I can’t wait to see what adventures we’ll have together and how much more independence she will give me.

Posted on 8:06am Thu 12 May 2016
Read comments  (0) |  Post a comment

Iggy has been working hard since joining us here in Leeds for her advanced training. Her work has progressed really nicely and we are very proud of how she is doing. Read the full post

Posted on 9:13am Fri 19 Feb 2016
Read comments  (0) |  Post a comment

December was a jam packed and an important month for Iggy!

Iggy had the pleasure of attending the fantastic 2015 Guide Dogs awards. Iggy accompanied Blue Peter's Lindsay Russell onto the stage to present an award to the wonderful Elaine Mackenzie who was named this year's Inspirational Guide Dog Owner. Read the full post

Posted on 9:55am Thu 28 Jan 2016
Read comments  (0) |  Post a comment

Iggy takes it all in her stride

At the end of October Iggy got into the spirit of Halloween with her boarder family and gave trick or treaters an extra special treat when she greeted them at the door! Read the full post

Posted on 2:41pm Tue 08 Dec 2015
Read comments  (0) |  Post a comment

Iggy's Gone To Big School

Iggy has been with us here at Atherton Training Centre for 14 weeks. She has settled in really well to her Early Training and is picking things up very quickly. Read the full post

Posted on 2:30pm Thu 12 Nov 2015
Read comments  (0) |  Post a comment

Goodbye Iggy!

About six weeks ago, we found out that Iggy had been formally accepted onto the Guide Dogs Early Training Scheme. We were naturally delighted but felt sad too as “The Date” had been given for her to leave our home. My children have been amazing throughout the whole year with Iggy and have loved being part of Blue Peter and the Guide Dogs programme. They’d become very attached to Iggy and I was worried about how they’d feel having to give her up but, as The Date grew nearer, I found that the children were equally as excited about Iggy’s next adventure Read the full post

Posted on 10:41am Tue 18 Aug 2015
Read comments  (0) |  Post a comment

Happy Birthday Iggy!

A couple of weeks ago, our lovely Iggy turned one year old! I cannot quite believe what a journey we have been on this year – full of fun, excitement, challenge and reward! Read the full post

Posted on 11:53am Thu 28 May 2015
Read comments  (0) |  Post a comment

Free running Iggy

Alongside her formal training walks, Iggy is allowed to go out on regular free runs. This is her real play time; she loves running free over the moors around our village. The children really enjoy coming along on free runs and call her frantic freedom sprints “Mad Dog Crazy Time”. Read the full post

Posted on 9:31am Fri 13 Feb 2015
Read comments  (0) |  Post a comment

Iggy is growing up

Iggy is now nine months old and for several weeks she has been showing signs that she is maturing. She has gone through a short phase of defiance where she started to decide for herself whether or not to do something, like going for a walk or obedience training. Read the full post

Posted on 2:53pm Fri 06 Feb 2015
Read comments  (0) |  Post a comment

Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer Recorder Recital

An important part of the first year of guide dogs training is making sure the puppy gets to do all the normal, everyday activities a family would usually do. Supermarket shopping, busy markets, library visits and the twice daily school run! If your school runs are as crazy as ours seem to be, then you know that having an extra four paws to contend with can be a challenge! Read the full post

Posted on 10:07am Thu 15 Jan 2015
Read comments  (0) |  Post a comment

Share:

About the Blue Peter puppy blog

Lindsey Russell and puppy Iggy

Blue Peter have named guide dog puppy Iggy and will be following her as she works towards graduating as a fully qualified guide dog. Keep up to date with Iggy's progress right here.

Fifty years after first working together, Guide Dogs and Blue Peter have teamed up again!

Puppy walkers wanted!

To find out if there are puppy walking roles available near you, please call us on 0845 371 7771 or register now to find out more.